Training Card: What should be different?
From Agile Moves
- Sometimes it is difficult to set a specific training goal, especially if the problem you’re looking to solve seems daunting and complex.
- That’s why it’s important to shift your position from viewing the problem towards envisioning your goal, in order to realize the steps you’ll need to take and what your training should include.
- A solution-focused method known as ‘the miracle question’ can help you with this.
- The purpose of this question is to activate your fantasy and enable you to take off your 'problem goggles', so that you can look at your issue in a completely different way.
- In doing so, you change your perspective and may come up with approaches to attaining your goal that wouldn’t have occurred to you while you were viewing the situation from the problematic perspective.
If you’d like, try the following thought experiment:
- Imagine you come home today, at some point you go to bed and fall asleep. While you’re sleeping, a miracle occurs and lo and behold, your problem is solved! However, since this happened while you were sleeping, you aren’t even aware that this miracle has taken place.
- How would you notice it on the next day? What would be different than usual?
- Give yourself plenty of time, and with peace and quiet picture yourself in this new day.
- Let your mind’s eye observe everything precisely. Try to keep track of how you are feeling and what you are experiencing.
- Which thoughts and/or feelings are different?
- Which people around you would notice that this miracle has occurred?
- How would you behave differently?
- Try to imagine the situation from different angles, for example
- How does your team react?
- How does your co-worker or your supervisor react?
- Try to remember as much as you can about your emotions and thoughts, and make notes for yourself about what was different on the day of the miracle.
- If possible, consider whether a goal can emerge from this situation.
- Additionally, you can also discuss the goal with your training partners.
- De Shazer, S., Dolan, Y.(2007): More than Miracles. Routledge
ID: VIS 09